Wanting to have soft, shiny and healthy hair is completely reasonable and definitely achievable. While some of us treat ourselves with luxury products that can get the job done, or even get weekly hair masks done at our salons or spas, there are ways to get the results we want right at the comfort of our homes, from ingredients that can be found in our kitchen.
Here are a few DIY masks you can do at home to pamper yourself and your hair. Whether it is a hair mask for dry hair to restore hydration and moisture, or to help you get rid of dandruff. And of course a mask to add shine and luster to your beautiful locks, and a hair mask for oily hair.
The Best DIY Hair Masks For Your Hair Type
1. For Dry Hair
Avocado + Honey + Olive Oil Mask
This is an all-natural deep conditioning mask that will help restore moisture to your dry and brittle hair, leaving it looking soft and smooth and most importantly hydrated.
The fats in the avocado is a great way to help repair dry hair, the olive oil is extremely hydrating, and honey is packed with vitamins that are beneficial for your scalp and strengthening your hair.
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Beat the ingredients in a food processor until smooth and light in color.
- On damp hair, apply the mask, focusing on the tips. (brush your hair beforehand to get rid of tangled hair to make the applying process easier).
- Put your hair in a bun and cover it with a shower cap.
- Heat your hair either by using a blow-dry (for 15 minutes), or you can sit under the sun for 30 minutes. Heat is necessary for this type of mask.
- Wash your hair as you normally would.
Honey + Egg + Apple Cider Vinegar Mask
This is a great DIY mask you can easily do at home to hydrate, as well as nourish your hair. It also adds shine to your hair. * Works on all hair types
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- If you have long and thick hair, you can double the recipe.
- Apply the mask on your hair and leave it from 30 to 40 minutes.
- Then rinse off your hair using your favorite shampoo.
2. For Oily Hair
Apple Cider Vinegar + Honey + Lemon Mask
This mask is one of the best for oily hair. The apple cider vinegar will balance the pH to restore proper acidity to the scalp, the lemon juice will absorb excess oil, and the honey will seal in moisture in your hair strands.
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda
- 2 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- On damp hair, apply the mask on small sections.
- Leave the mask on for 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair as usual.
Yogurt + Baking Soda + Lemon Mask
Yogurt is full of probiotics and antifungal properties. These will help deeply cleanse your scalp, maintain its balanced sebum production, and give the hair a shinier and healthier look. Baking soda is known for a good cleanser, as it absorbs oil. It’s also alkaline so it can help balance the pH level of your scalp
- 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
- Juice from one lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey.
- Mix the ingredients until smooth.
- Apply the mask on your hair and massage it into your scalp.
- Leave the mask on for 30 minutes, covering your hair with a shower cap.
- Shampoo your hair and wash it with cold water.
3. Combat Dandruff
Coconut Oil + Sugar + Essential Oil Mask
This hair mask is a perfect exfoliating treatment that promotes a healthy scalp and helps remove and reduce dandruff.
- 2 tablespoons of raw unrefined coconut oil
- 4 teaspoons of raw sugar
- 5 drops of peppermint oil
- 2 drops of tea tree oil
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients until properly combined.
- Either using your fingers or a coloring brush, evenly apply the mixture directly to small sections of damp and clean hair (while you are in the shower).
- Gently massage it into your scalp for about 3 minutes.
- Clip your hair up and let the mask sit for the duration of your shower.
- Finally, wash your hair with shampoo.
Banana + Avocado Mask
Avocados are rich in antioxidants which will keep your scalp healthy, while the bananas are great for conditioning your hair and scalp. These two ingredients are great dandruff treatment, as they are moisturizing, which can help reduce dandruff and inflammation.
- 2 bananas
- 1 avocado
- Mash the two bananas and the avocado until you get a nice smooth paste.
- Apply it all over your scalp.
- Leave it for 30 minutes.
- Rinse out with cold water.
4. Add Shine to your strands
Olive Oil + Coconut Oil Mask
For high-gloss and shiny hair, this is your kind of hair mask. Both these natural oils will keep your hair hydrated so that your hair can be smooth, soft and shiny.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon heated coconut oil
- Combine the two oils.
- Gently apply it on your hair and leave it for 10 minutes. Cover with a shower cap.
- Rinse with warm water.
Banana + Egg + Honey Mask
This hair mask will enhance your natural shine, giving you that healthy and beautiful glow.
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon organic honey
- 1 egg white
- Peel the banana, then freeze it for 2 hours (freezing the banana will result in a much smoother and clump-free mixture).
- In a food processor, blend the banana until smooth, then add the honey and egg whites and blend again.
- Apply on your hair, starting from the roots to the tips.
- Leave for 20 minutes covering your hair with a shower cap.
- Rinse off the mask with your usual shampoo and conditioner.