Now that you finally got your hands on your very own set of Zen’s 9-piece clip in hair extensions, we would like to provide you with our top 7 tips to keep your clip in hair extensions lustful, beautiful and healthy.
How To Use Hair Extensions Clip Ins?
Clip in hair extensions are a great way to change up your current style. Whether it is adding a few inches to your hair, adding a bit of thickness or both. They are even a great alternative if you want to add some color without bleaching or dying your natural hair, and trying out new hairstyles for your day-to-day job or outings or an upcoming event.
- To add length and thickness
Adding both length and thickness to your natural hair has never been easier. You can add length and thickness using our 9 piece clip in hair extensions in under 10 minutes. What is great about our clip in hair extensions is that it comes in 9 various sizes perfect for that quick and desired look. Our clip in hair extensions are 100% Remy human hair extensions. They will give you the utmost thickness and length because they are Double Drawn. This means they have the same thickness from top to button for that ultimate fullness you have always wanted.
To add color
If you have been wanting to achieve the Ombré look, or just wanting to add a bit of highlight to your hair but feeling hesitant about going through the process of bleaching and dying your hair, then clip in hair extensions is the next best solution.
Zen Hair’s clip in hair extensions come in various colors. From the color jet black and shades of brown, to various beautiful shades of blonde, platinum and Ombré’s. And if you want to add a pop of color for the summer, our pastel collection includes the colors Lilac, Dusty Pink, Pale Blue and Grey.
- SO.MANY. Hairstyles
You know that feeling when you see a cute hairdo on an Instagram post and you just wish you could copy it yourself, but your hair maybe not long enough? Well, worry no more.
You can achieve endless hairstyles with clip in hair extensions. A cute and simple half up-do for your upcoming brunch with the girls, thick and full high ponytail look for a romantic date night, a high bun, fishtail braid, really, any hairstyle you can think of.
Here are the steps you can follow to achieve all three looks: a half up-do, ponytail and a high bun.
- An Ariana Grande inspired Half Up-do
First thing first, you need to apply your hair extensions to ensure you add lots of volume and body.
- Start by sectioning enough hair on the top part of your head where you want to tie your hair in a ponytail, and clip that away.
- Then, section your hair at the nape of your neck in a straight line and clip away the rest of your hair.
- Before applying the clip in extensions, make sure you brush it to ensure it is tangle free.
- Backcomb your roots gently, and clip the 3-clip hair extension (size: Large) from your 9 piece clip in extension set.
- Repeat the same step, by sectioning another straight line of your hair over the previous section. Once again, clip the 3-clip hair extension and make sure it is secure in place.
- Next, separate a straight line right above your ears, then apply the 4-clip extension (size: XLarge). Make sure you leave enough hair to let down to cover this section of the clip in hair extensions.
- To add volume on the sides of your head, separate a line and clip the 2-clip hair extensions (size: Medium).
- Repeat this on the other side.
- To add length to the top ponytail, clip the two 1-clip hair extensions (size: Small) under the ponytail before tying it.
- Finally, using a hair elastic, tie the ponytail in a tight and secure fit.
- Brush your hair to make sure everything is smooth.
- You can now style your hair by either going for a sleek and straight look, or having big bouncy curls.
- Thick and Full Ponytail
If you don't have a ponytail hair extension, then clip in extensions are a great alternative to use to add more thickness and fullness to your ponytail.
- Start by sectioning the bottom part of your hair, near the nape of your neck, and clip the rest of your hair away.
- Take the 3-clip hair extension (size: Large), brush it thoroughly before applying it, then clip it upside down on the top layer you sectioned off. The reason why you are not applying the clip in hair extensions the right way like you normally would, is because you are putting your hair up in a ponytail, and want the clip in extensions to go the opposite way, in the same direction of the ponytail.
- Section another layer above the previous one, and repeat the same step, using the 3-clip hair extension (size: Large).
- Section a third layer with a straight line right above your ears, and clip in the 4-clip hair extensions (size: XLarge).
- At the top crown part of your head, section your hair and clip the 2-clip hair extensions (size: Medium) the right way down like you normally would, instead of upside down.
- If necessary, section another line right about the previous section, and clip the second piece of the 2-clip hair extension.
- Section your hair diagonally on each side of your head, and apply either one or two pieces of the 1-clip hair extension (size: Small).
- Make sure you leave enough hair at the front part to cover the clip in hair extensions while putting your hair up in a ponytail.
- Now that all the clip in hair extensions are clipped in your hair, flip your head over, and brush your hair using a paddle brush or a small stiff bristle hair brush to smooth the hair all around before tying it up in a ponytail.
- Using a good hair tie, secure your ponytail in place in a tight manner, to make sure it stays in place and does not budge all day.
- Use your favorite hair spray and brush away any flyaways.
- You can now style your ponytail with either straightening it or curling it with a curling iron.
- Classy High Bun
To achieve this hairstyle, it is recommended to use the same method and following the steps you did to achieve the ponytail look.
- To get that perfect bun, grab a mesh donut hairpiece, and pull your ponytail through the center, all the way to the base of the ponytail.
- Section the ponytail into two sections.
- Grab the first section, and twist it around the mesh donut hair iece, securing it with bobby pins.
- Then take the second section of the ponytail and wrap it around the base, again securing the ends with a bobby pin.
- Finish off with some hair spray.
Tips On Clip In Hair Extensions
While owning clip in hair extensions gives you endless possibilities to play around with your look, it is important to take very good care of them to keep them in top shape.
Here are our top 7 tips to remember to help keep your clip in hair extensions healthy, as good as new, so it lasts as long as possible.
- Always use heat protectant
Whether you are styling your hair or your hair extensions, it’s important to always use a heat protectant. By using a heat protectant, you are adding a barrier between whatever heat styler you’re using and your hair extensions (as well as your natural hair). This helps to seal in moisture and prevents frizz, as well as smoothing the hair cuticle, resulting in a smooth, shiny and soft look.
- Get a trim
You need to treat your hair extensions that same way you treat your natural hair.
With the constant use of heat stylers, your hair extensions are bound to get split and dry ends. And to keep the fresh and healthy look, opt in for a trimming appointment at your salon every 2 months or so to get rid of the damaged ends.
Washing your clip in hair extensions help avoid product build up, and to keep them shiny and lustful.
How often should you wash clip in hair extensions? Great question.
We advise you to wash your clip in hair extensions once every other week. Unlike your natural hair, hair extensions cannot restore its natural oils that help keep them nourished and moisturized after every wash. And washing them constantly would only result in dry and dull hair extensions.
For washing, make sure you use shampoos and conditioners that are free from harmful chemicals like Sulphate, Paraben, Silicone and Alcohol. These chemicals will strip all the moisture from the hair, leaving it dry and brittle.
After every wash, gently towel dry your clip in hair extensions. You can either leave them to air dry on your clip in extension rack, or blow dry them. Don’t forget to use the heat protectant.
After blow drying, apply your favorite hair serum on the ends to hydrate them.
- Cut down on hair products
Using too many hair products can weigh down your hair extensions. If you are going for a big bouncy curls kind of look, it’s better to only use a good quality hair spray to help hold the curls all day long, and of course, don't forget the heat protectant. Other products are advised to use is dry-shampoo. This will refresh your hair extensions as well as your hair, until the next time you wash your hair extensions. Another great product to use is a hair serum. Remember to use it sparingly and only on the end of your hair extensions, to avoid the greasy and limp look.
- Avoid sleeping with your Clip in Hair Extensions
Sleeping in with your clip in hair extensions can cause major problems. While sleeping, you are tossing and turning, which can result you in accidentally tugging on your hair roots and cause hair breakage where the clips are attached.
- Don’t wear your clip in extension at the pool or the beach
As appealing as the idea of wearing long wavy hair at the beach is chances of getting your hair extensions tangled and damaged are extremely high. No to mention subjecting it to salty water or the chlorine from the pool. This will cause your hair extensions to tangle up easily which makes it a pain to brush it out later, as well as damaging it and making it more prone to breakage. In addition, once your hair extensions get wet, they will be heavy on your head, which will cause tension on your roots and might cause breakage.
- Do not bleach or dye your clip in hair extensions
Zen Hair provides a big range of more than 25 beautiful and trendy colors you can choose from. They have gone through a long and careful dying process to ensure they remain in their utmost high quality. The chemicals from bleaching or dying your hair extensions can cause serious damage to your hair extensions, with disappointing results.
How long does clip in hair extensions last?
By having proper hair care routine, using non-harmful hair products, mindful styling and following the previous easy tips, your clip in hair extensions can last up to 2 years.